Pages

My occasional thoughts about the damn addictive contest, which usually come around the sacred month of May.

Monday, April 4, 2011

A preview for my review

Rankings are so boring. Eurovision fans, mostly, but not only them - practicly anyone who's into music and charts, are obsessed with making a top 5, top 10 or top 30 of their all-times best, or a top-something with some special theme - best of this or that artist, for example. I, personaly, like to make a rank and hate it at the same time. I like it - because it's nice to arrange everything in your head and decide once and for all what you like and what you do not like. I thinks that psychological research could be done about the fact that making a rank contribute to one's definition of personality.

But I hate ranks because of two reasons. For the first, I don't think it's really possible to decide that one song is better than the other (totally contradicts the purpose and vision of the Eurovision Song Contest, but let's ignore it right now). For the second, I think that putting song titlesor entries into a list diminish a little bit from every song's individuality and character. When you see a list of ranked songs, you only see who is "better" and "liked", and who is "worse" or "not popular". You cannot see which song has good lyrics but boring melody, you cannot see which song has a great orchestration and developement and therefore is appreciated, you cannot see which singer is a good performer and which singer has an amasing hit but is a disaster on stage, amd so on. Those things are practicly not mentioned when Eurovision fans rank the songs. This is why I prefer deep reviews over tops and charts. 

And this is why I decided to make a very extended review of this year's Eurovision songs. Since we, Eurovision fans, all have some attention deficit (haha, my own conclusion, due to the fact that we all adore a contest with straight-to-the-point songs which last only 3 minutes) I'm gonna cut it into many many pieces and review one song at a time. In contrast to what everyone keep saying, I think this year is a wonderful great year, and every song is worth reference. I started downloading the songs and listening to them only about a month ago, and instantly loved most of them. Maybe that's due to the fact that I was not following the preselections (except of Melodifestivalen) and couldn't take the actual performance into consideration, but I don't really care. In contrast to many Eurovision fans, I've always been there mainly for the music rather than for the show. 

So from now on, as said, once in a while I'm gonna take one song from the contest and bring it into the spotlight for 15 seconds of fame and review, while relating to other aspects than "I like it" "I don't" and "I think it's gonna do well". Who's gonna be the first entry, I wonder...   


 
 










(In these pictures: Nostalgic Eurovision logos through the years, by SeekLogo.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment