Pages

My occasional thoughts about the damn addictive contest, which usually come around the sacred month of May.

Monday, June 4, 2012

Don't play that song again, or: Why we don't want to listen to the Eurovision songs after the big show is over

A thread in the Israeli ESC forum that I participate in, deals with those Eurovision songs that managed to stay in our playlist even after the contest. Most people name Sweden - A natural choice, since it's the winner of the contest and can continue with us into the normal non-Eurovision world. Many people also name other songs which did quite well in the contest, like Estonia or Romania. The songs that failed, as expected, are scarcly mentioned. 

Personally I think that it shows us two things: First, that the show and the music are inseparable. Second, that music and emotion are inseparable, too.

Before the three big evenings of Eurovision, all we have is songs. Yes, we've seen some fragments of a show on the national finals or on the previews video-clips, but the real show which connects the Euro with the Vision is still about to be exposed. Whe the artist finally performs on the Eurovision night, it's like the answer to the question "what is the meaning of this song?" have been answered.  The show shows us what the creator (singer, writer, director, etc) wanted to to express at the first place. Now, after the performance, there's no place for imagination anymore. At some cases, the whole picture that we get through watching the show is marvelous just like the song. At other cases, the show makes the song look better. And at some other cases, it drags it down and ruins it completely.

Let's take France for example. Who's able to listen to it now? Before Eurovision this song was conceived as a powerful charismatic pop song. But now, after the fiasco of the show? It mainly reminds us of a big mess and a chance that was not taken seriously. Estonia, on the other hand. A great ballad, which was always considered good, but now got a new life after the show, which was powerfull and and made the hearts of everybody beat as fast as hell. When we listen to it after the contest, we get the viberations we got when we watched the great show, even though the studio version in our Ipod didn't even change a bit.

There's also this thing about the final score. We all want to be winners and no one of us wants to be a loser. If a song didn't do so well, we don't want to stick to it anymore. We want to get away from it, not to be recognised by it. It's the winners we want to stick to, and hope that their light will shine on us too.

As for me - After the contest I'm left with a very few songs which I am able to listen too: Denmark - I "rediscovered" this song quite late in the Eurovision season and since then I'm quite addicted, expecially because of the great lyrics, the catchy rythm and the touching voice of the singer. Sweden - I thought I couldn't listen to it anymore because I did it too many times since MF in march, but the energy in it just never seem to die, I guess. Lithuania - I always pressed "skip" when it came to my playlist before the contest. Now, After I've seen the show, I see new qualities in it. It seems much more authentic now, and so much less boring, somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment