Today I refreshed my ipod playlist. Deleted all the Eurovision songs (got really tired of them by now) and put in instead som baltic pop music: Nylon Beat's discography, and "Kui me päikeseloojangut ootama peaks", an album from 2003 by the Estonian group Blacky.
Nylon Beat's music always brings back to me memories from the years 2003-2004. I downloaded these songs back then from a guy on Soulseek who had the same nickname - Nylon Beat. Once, while downloading, I started a conversation with him and discovered, to my great surprise, that he was not Finnish or Swedish as I expected, but an Israeli who lived in the neigbourhood next to mine! This was a start to a very long story which is entitled "The first time I fell in love". A long, painful story, but also beautiful and nostalgic at the same time. Nylon Beat's music, as well as certain Melodifestivaen songs, were the soundtrack of my life back then and listening to them now, many years after, brings the memories back to life, vivid and accurate as if they occured yesterday.
I discovered Blacky's music by a mistake, when I was once looking for a Eurovision-related song named "Salaja". I didn't know the name of the artist, and then got "Salaja" by Blacky as one of the results. I downloaded the song and fell in love with it instantly. The thing that I like about Blacky is that all of their songs sound quite the same - in a good way. They use the same chords sequences over and over again, in all of their songs, and since I realy love those non-conventional sequences, I always know that I'm about to enjoy the whole album. They also have a certain agressivity in their songs (even though it's a girls group) which really suits me these days, when I'm having a hard time in some aspects of my life.
In a few days I'm about to launch a personal and a very unique Eurovision-related project...updates coming soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment